Resume | Me | Jean | Kids' pics | Picture Gallery | Quotes | Computers | Ranger | GTI | A4 | tidbits
Current Demands On My Time:
- Leon Yim Nicosia, June 23,
- Tycho Yim Nicosia, July 4, 2010
- Our sons, Leon and Tycho, keep Jean and I happy and busy.
- Engine Yard
- General Manager, xCloud. Tasked with
transforming Engine Yard's existing hosted infrastructure
into a complementary offering of our other product line, AppCloud.
Things I Used to Do:
- Yahoo! Grid Services
- Manager of the Grid Services Operations team. Built a team of
nine systems administrators and engineers in Bangalore and Santa
Clara. GridOps maintains large grids using several open source
utility computing packages, including
Yahoo! had taken a big stake in contributing to the Hadoop project
and my VP had asked me to build a tech ops team to support our
service efforts. I got to be directly involved in deploying the
world's largest Hadoop clusters as well as giving feedback directly
to the developers responsible for the code base. It was a great
- Yahoo! Search Technology
- Lured to Yahoo! to build a cluster automation and monitoring team.
We built some cool stuff. I learned a lot.
- Offered the role of Sr. Systems Engineer for one of the biggest
e-commerce operations in the world!
- Viralon Corporation
- Filled the shoes of Operations Manager at Viralon, a budding
San Francisco-based startup. We built a great product and began to
get sales traction just in time for our primary investor to pull
funding. I'm still very enthusiastic about the technology we
produced, and am confident that a product similar to ours will
eventually become an indispensible tool for many businesses.
- Bachelors of Arts in
Science from University of
California at Berkeley.
- Inktomi Corporation
- Although not completely finished with school, I was sucked in
by Peter Norby and
Mike Scheel to aid them in their Operations duties. Had quite a commute. While there, I met some great people,
including Jason Fesler.
- MCB System Administrator
- I was a 50% (variable, at my discretion) time system administrator for
U.C. Berkeley's Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology. See my home page there for more
details on my first steady, paying job.
- Write free software
- I don't have much spare time anymore, but in the past, I've
written a few things. I host the source for TC 2.0, Coke, Hit List and
a few smaller bits.
- Campolindo Homeowner's Association
- In my spare time, I maintained the website for my homeowner's
association. I'm no longer a Board member, so the site has moved on
to fresh blood. And about time, too!
- SICOS Founder
- I bought the machine that once was Server.Berkeley.EDU with the
intention of using it as a personal machine. I changed my mind,
however, when I realized that myself and a couple of friends could
provide a real service to the community that nobody else is providing
or even interested in helping to provide. That was the start of
Students Improving Campus On-Line Services, eventually we served as
the home for large number of student groups.
- Other UC Berkeley Student organizations
- I have also held various positions at the
OCF and the
Marco Nicosia (marco (at) escape.org)